The department of Khasi was established on the 6th April, 1935. In these years, Khasi language was taught as a Vernacular subject under the Calcutta University. It was a dream and vision of Rev. Fr. Joseph Bacchiarello, former Principal of St. Anthony’s College to upgrade Khasi Vernacular up to the honours level. When the Gauhati University was formed, all the institutions in Meghalaya were affiliated to it. During the Headship of Prof. R. S. Lyngdoh in the year 1960, he along with the help and support of Rev. Fr. Joseph worked hard to convince the then Vice-Chancellor of Gauhati University to upgrade Khasi language from a Vernacular course to Modern Indian Language Elective and later on, to full-fledged honours subject.