The department of Geology was established on the 13th June 1985. This is a full time B.Sc course with honours in Geology and it is affiliated to the North Eastern Hill University. It is a professional course that is aimed at preparing students for careers in the oil, petrochemical and mining sectors. In addition, it also provides the students with a strong theoretical and practical foundation to enable them to pursue an academic career in Earth Sciences.
Workshops and talks organised by the Department from 2014-2018
- Organized a 5-day training program “Training and Mock Drill on Disaster Management” from 26th-30 May 2014 in collaboration with District Disaster Management Authority, East Khasi Hills, Meghalaya.
- Organized a 2-day Workshop on “Landslide Disaster Risk Management” on 4th-5th December 2014 in collaboration with The Meghalaya Administrative Training Institute Shillong.
- Organized a three-day Workshop on GIS Technology was organized in collaboration with Jiya Infotech, Kolkata on 6th-8th April 2016
- In collaboration with Atomic Minerals Division, NER, Shillong, a three-day Training program cum field work was held on 28th, 29th and 30 October 2016 for VI Semester students.
- Collaborated with District Disaster Management Authority, East Khasi Hills, Shillong in organizing a 1-day “Training for Government Officers, Teachers, CEOs/NGOs on Comprehensive Landslide Risk Mitigation” on 7th April 2017.
- Guest Lecture on “GNSS and its Applications ”by Mr. G. Sharma, Scientist, NESAC, Umiam held on 5th Aug., 2017
- The VI and IV Semester Geology students were led to a Field-Work under the guidance of personnel from Geological Survey of India, Shillong on the 6th and 7th December 2018 to Mairang and Umroi. The three field-guides were Mr. MA Khonglah, Superintending Geologist, Mr. K Nath and Mrs. D Gogoi, both Senior Geologists.
Pictures of Department activities