Ever since its inception, the Mathematics department has been the domain of eminent mathematicians with strong academic background whose untiring and dedicated service towards the students remained an unforgettable experience in the memory of numerous students. The department maintains the same standard of excellence in terms of quality teaching, helping students in all possible ways in pursuit of their goals and this is reflected in the University results year after year. The upward trend in the number of students seeking admission for Mathematics in undergraduate level is another satisfaction of the department for its efficient discharge of responsibilities.
Activities of the Department(2014-2018)
- On the 13th of September, 2014, the department conducted a Popular talk on “Frontiers in Mathematics”. The talk was delivered by Mr. Sainkupar Mawiong of the Department of Basic Science and Social Science, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong.
- On 1st August, 2015, the department conducted a seminar with three sessions based on the theme “Basic Concepts and Applications of Mathematics” with the motive to celebrate the opening ceremony of the Platinum Jubilee of the Department of Mathematics. The resource persons were Dr. Ardeline Mary Buhphang , Dr. Jibitesh Dutta and Mr. John Jala Kharbhih, all from the North Eastern Hill University, Shillong.
- On 27th of May, 2016, an Inter School Mathematical Quiz Competition was held. The Quiz Master was one of the faculty members of the department, Mr. Erickson Syiemlieh.
- On 14th June, 2016, a Seminar on the “Contributions of Renowned Mathematicians” was held. The presentations, in this seminar, were given by the Third Year Mathematics Honours Students of the College. This programme marked the closing ceremony of the Platinum Jubilee Celebration of the Department of Mathematics, St. Anthony’s College, Shillong.
- On 26th November, 2016, popular talks were held on the topic “Recent trends in Mathematics and Research Avenues for College Teachers. The resource persons were Prof. H.K.Mukherjee, North Eastern Hill University, Dr. Dibyajyoti Mahanta, Dean of Krishna Kanta Handiqui State Open University, Dispur, Guwahati and Dr. Manideepa Saha, NIT, Meghalaya.
- 14th of March 2017 on the occasion of PI-Day the department organised a talk. Dr. Saikat Mukherjee, NIT, Meghalaya, the resource person delivered a talk on “Pi- Its Origin and Significance”.
- On 16th of September, 2017, two talks were held for the benefit of the school teachers. These talks were on the theme “Making Mathematics Interesting”. Dr. Jaya G. Choudhury of St. Mary’s College, Shillong, and Mr. Spainborlang Kharchandy of Shillong College, were the resource person.